Saturday, 12 September 2009

How I Swapped a Plane for a Camera



A couple of months back, my F3F mate Phil Taylor invited me to join him at the O2 (Milleniumn Dome) for some soaring off the nearby Thames river wall. Wow! This sounded like fun, so I soon found myself on the Jubilee line heading down to North Greenwhich, with my trusty Longshot DLG swaddled in protective bubblewrap.

And yes, we did manage to soar over the Thames, thanks to the surprising amount of lift available from the 12-foot concrete bank. Armed with a bit of height, we were even able to hook on to some thermal activity off the roof of the David Beckham Football Academy. If you want to read more about our little adventure, poke your eyes at Phil's post on RC Groups.

However, aside from the flying, what really caught my attention were the fantastic views of Docklands. I decided then that I would return for some photography. So a few weeks later, I found myself back at North Greenwich tube station, but this time without a plane. Instead, I brought my Pentax K100D, 40mm 'pancake' lens and a tripod.

The photo above is the result. It's blended from five separate captures using Enfuse, which compressed the very wide tonal range (bright sun/dark shadows) into a single image. It's currently work in progress - I'll post the finished article to my Flickr site.