Monday 1 October 2018

Frsky RX6R - a tiny full range 6CH receiver

The FrSky RX6R sounds like the answer to a lot of pilots' prayers - a receiver small enough to fit in a Pitbull or Stribog without looking as if it's been jammed in with a hammer! What's more, the RX6R is claimed to offer 40% more range than X-series receivers. Sounds too good to be true? Let's find out... [note: updated 18 Oct 2018]

The RX6R is a very small unit - both shorter and narrower than the already small X4R, yet with support for 6 PWM channels, or 16 channels on S.Bus.

The original idea was to put it in my Stribog to replace the X8R which is too tight a fit. However it comes with a flimsy card wrapper. A hard case would be far preferable, even at the expense of slightly increased dimensions.

One slight drawback: for models using all 6 PWM channels, a Y-lead is needed in order to share one of the outputs with the battery.

Size comparison: X8R and RX6R

I noticed that the soldering of the output pins to the upper board was inconsistent - some pins were soldered all the way through the through-plated holes, but most weren't (see photos).


Tiny bind button is at lower right

Binding to my X9D+ was straightforward and I soon had it working on my RSSI testing rig. Unfortunately, this is when things didn't go as hoped - the RX6R reported lower RSSI values compared with the X4R receiver which I use as a reference. There were two possible reasons: either my RX6R was faulty, or the RSSI values meant something different.

Side view showing S.Bus/Smartport/AnalogIn2 port

A quick email to T9, and an equally quick response suggested that I return the unit. I am currently waiting for a replacement and will update this post. Incidentally, I was lucky to have the support of a local dealer. Please support yours - they depend on you, and you never know when you might need them!

Update 18 Oct 2018: The replacement works fine.
Update 16 Jan 2019: I've made a  3D printed case, and the receiver is now installed in the Stribog. Three sessions so far and it all works perfectly.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've been supporting T9, and they've been supporting me. Can I get my GX6-R to bind to an original Taranis Tx ? Can I chuff. Hopefully, it's a dumb user error, but presently I am wondering if it's like the S6R that's lurking on my shelf, awaiting me buying a more up-to-date Tx. Only this time, I read very carefully to see if my old Tx was not supported.